Before you make HOME repairs or remodels yourself —
It isn't always apparent when to seek professional help or when to tackle projects ourselves, so Kim Jordan is here to offer some wise counsel to HOME owners considering all of the DIY projects.
Kansas City Cheesecake
prepare 24 hours in advance — serves 12
Graham Cracker Crust Ingredients
- 10 graham crackers, broken
- 3 tablespoons of butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
Graham Cracker Crust Directions
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the graham crackers in a blender and process to fine crumbs.
- Pour the crumbs into a medium bowl.
- Mix in the butter and the sugar.
- Pour the mixture into a 9" pie dish.
- Press the crumbs into the pie dish using the back of a spoon.
- Place the pie dish with crust in the freezer while you assemble the cheesecake.
- 12 ounces of regular cream cheese
- ½ cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla (very important to get the full tablespoon — it's the secret of the dish!)
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Beat the cream cheese and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until they are fluffy.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, and salt. Combine those as well.
- Pour the mixture into the Graham Cracker Crust.
- Surround the pie plate with an aluminum foil collar that extends to about 3" above the rim (this will prevent scorching). Fasten the ends of the foil with toothpicks and shape the collar so that it hovers over the crust edges without actually touching.
- Bake until the cake no longer "jiggles" (probably 20 minutes).
- Using a rack, let the cake cool to room temperature before removing the aluminum foil collar.
- 1½ cups of thick sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla (still important!)
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt
- Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees.
- Dust the top of the cake with cinnamon.
- Mix the sour cream, sugar, vanilla, and salt.
- Pour the mixture over the cooled cake.
- Bake for five minutes.
- Using a rack, let the cake cool to room temperature.
- First cover the cake with plastic wrap, then with aluminum foil.
- Refrigerate overnight.
Serve and enjoy!