Best when the cake and filling are prepared a day or two ahead and frost the day it is served.
- 2 egg whites
- about ½ c. sugar
- ⅓ – ½ C. flour sifted 3 times
- 2½ c. milk
- 2-3 cups coconut
- Put 2 egg whites in a mixing bowl.
- Beat until not quite stiff.
- Gradually add about ½ c. sugar.
- Add 1/3 – ½ C. flour sifted 3 times.
- Scald 2½ c. milk on top of a double boiler.
- Remove top portion and set aside.
- Pour small amount of egg white mixture into the milk in the top double boiler.
- Stir all very well.
- Add remaining milk very slowly, stirring egg white mixture over low heat.
- Return to bottom of the double boiler.
- Add 2-3 cups coconut (I like to buy unsweetened coconut found in the cooler section of a more health conscious store).