Who is Aunt Maud?
Best when the cake and filling are prepared a day or two ahead and frost the day it is served.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease and flour 3 round cake pans and cut wax paper to fit the bottom of each one.
- 1 scant c. of butter
- 6 large or 7 medium egg yolks (save the whites for the filling)
- 1 T. baking powder and ½ c. milk
- 1 c. milk
- 2 c. sugar
- 3 c. cake flour (sifted 3 times)
- ½ c. milk
- 1 t. vanilla
- Beat sugar and butter in a mixer until it is light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks one at a time until batter begins to form.
- Dissolve 1 T. baking powder in ½ c. milk and add to the batter.
- Continue beating until well blended.
- Add vanilla.
- Add 1 c. milk alternately with the re-sifted cake flour.
- Divide into cake pans.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.
- Use a toothpick (stick it into the middle of the cake pan) to see when done. It should come out clean (no batter).
- Cool on racks.
- Invert onto a serving plate and ice with filling.
- Position the next cake on top and ice.
- Follow with the 3rd.