Best when the cake and filling are prepared a day or two ahead and frost the day it is served.
- 2 c. sugar
- ¾ c. white corn syrup (Karo)
- ½ c. water
- 1 c. egg whites
- Cook sugar, syrup and water together until firm ball stage (242 degrees). It will boil up. I like to use a more narrow pan with high sides.
- While sugar syrup and water are cooking, place egg whites in a counter top mixer (hand mixer would be difficult).
- Beat until stiff.
- Once the syrup is ready, slowly pour onto the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Run the mixer on high and beat for about 5 minutes.
- Let rest and beat again to cool it off.
- Ice the cake and add additional coconut on top.
**coconut can be died green at Easter. Decorate the top with jelly beans and candied rabbits and sheep.